E-mail entries to me at amcsholtyATgmail.com.
Recipes and resoucres for the slow cooker
Pasta Shells With ChickpeasThe dish was quite tasty and very easy. This is a great meal for those of you needing a meatless main dish for Fridays. My one quibble with it was the use of 19 oz. of chickpeas. Chickpeas are sold in cans of 15 or 28 oz, which means you wind up wasting some of your chickpeas. We aren't big on waste here. We suggest a salad with chickpeas as the garnish.
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 19 oz. canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, finely snipped
- 12 oz. medium pasta shells, prepared according to package directions
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Combine the tomatoes, chickpeas, garlic, sugar, seasoning, vinegar in an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours to make the sauce. During the last hour, cook the shells separately, and drain them; keep warm. Stir the basil into the sauce and serve it over the pasta. Top each serving with the grated parmesan.